Monday, May 5, 2008

Vamos a morir! We are going to die!

The dang guagua's provide more entertainment than I orginally thought. On our way to Cabarete I counted a total of 21 people in the guagua at one time. I was wearing a skirt and sitting backwards by the door. Of course between my skirt, my bag and the wind, My skirt kept flying up. I kept it down, but that didn't stop the guys on the moto's from trying to look. If I weren't wearing a swim suit underneath I would have been way more offended, but since I knew all their effort was for naught, I just threw a look their way and went on. Then, this guy hops on. I had good reason to think he was drunk. Kara and I were up front at a stop when we heard this huge thud. I turned to see what had happened. This cemented my previous thought. The guy is on the ground in a ditch. Some guys helped him up and he went stumbling on his way. I laughed a good two minutes about it.

Last night on our way home from Cabarete we encountered some sort of political ralley. A one lane road going two directions turned into a four lane road with 3 going one way and 1 going the opposite. It was loud with music and cheering, complete with bumper to bumper traffic. I felt like yelling "Viva la revolucion!" I happened to look up right as we were meeting nose to nose with a jeep. Somehow we got into the other lane. As if seeing my short 23 yrs pass before my eyes wasn't enough, my abdomen and top of my feet are sunburned and I was feeling every bump and jerk. But as with everything, it could be worse.

Next came the marriage proposal. I would have been more flattered had I been the first gringa he asked, but I was not...I was the 3rd. Not that I would have considered this as a possibility anyway. Leave it to a Dominican to take notice.

Today, Kara and I conquered the grocery store! Which means I rode a moto for the first time and LOVED it. I want to go into the city again just so I can ride on it. We were going a wee bit fast and we both tightened our grip. The store offers this free service to drive you and your items home. Our driver had remembered me from my previous trip and was apparently enthralled with my bad spanish. He asked for my number...denied. He's a very nice guy that I am sure we will run into again considering I have seen him twice on two seperate trips. Weird. Random thought...it was nice to wear a seat belt for the first time in 5 days. So many things here go against my nursing instincts.

A group is coming in tonight so we have been busy preparing the house and having a staff meeting. School is in session tomorrow and I am dying to see the kids. I promise to post pictures as they are the number one reason I am here and my writing is getting boring.

No comments: