Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Vaca Santa! Holy Cow!


What do you do when you meet a cow? This was exactly my predicament the other day on the way to school. I was by myself and on my way to school via the ever-so-lovely cow path. I was trying to avoid the presents that the cows had left and was very focused on it. I started to hop up this 2 ft ledge when I find that I am 3 ft away from a giant cow with giant horns, face to face. I have never been in this situation before and my first thought was "Holy Cow!" I wanted to take a picture but feared that the flash would cause him to charge and knock me into the gifts I had so desperately avoided. Then I started getting nervous b/c I had no idea how to get past. The cow must have known this and had the typical thought that I feel I get often..."stupid gringa" b/c he literally shook his head and moved to the side to allow me to pass. Thank you Senor Vaca! I also crossed paths with about a half a dozen chickens and a tied up horse.

The following may have happened the same day, I can't remember. I hop on the guagua and tell the cobrador (the guy you pay and determines stops) "Monte Llano, a silencio" which is the name of the town and street that I want to get off on. He replies, "Oh si, no problema" I am becoming increasingly proud of myself for being able to get around the country and feel quite satisfied that I am not going to have to be surveying like an eagle. Guess what...three stops later the guy gets off...HE WAS NOT THE COBRADOR! He totally played along though. Oh well, I still made it. And I am sure he thought, "stupid gringa."

Today while Kara and I were on a guagua bus, I felt like you could buy the most important things in life. A guy had a huge display of sunglasses and cell phone carriers that he was going to sell, the lady next to me had a huge bag of potato chips to sell and the old man in front of me had a handful and bag full of bras...the Latifah brand...I didn't even know she had a line of bras for well endowed woman to buy. Only in the DR would you go to a corner to buy a bra.

Last week at our karaoke adventure, David tried numerous times to get the servers attention, but to no avail. I did the unthinkable...I hissed at the guy...AND he came right over. I hate the hissing! It just seems so disrespectful and demeaning, but I never say anything b/c it's their culture and they do it ALL the time. I can't believe I did it though, I guess I just hear it a lot. When in Rome...

Luis Miguel's foot is back to normal size. Two if the boys eyes were red and swollen. It looked like they had been in a fight, but they said their eyes were itching. The only thing they had in common is that both had been in toxic river in the last 24 hours. I gave them some benedryl and warned them they will get sleepy...they were both out of it by the end of class and it was cute. The kids were very funny today. I will leave you with some pictures. The one where cara is hugging the kid is funny b/c this kid talks nonstop even when you aren't paying attention, so she hugged him hoping he would think it was weird and pause his string of words...it didn't work, he kept on going.






1 comment:

Dotti said...

I continue to enjoy reading about your adventures. Keep Up the Good Work and God Bless!
Dotti