Saturday, May 10, 2008

55 teeth, 17 kids, 3 days


That's right. The dentist removed 55 teeth from 17 students in 3 days. Once again, the kids did great. One child needed 11 removed but we only took five...he has to try and eat with something. It was so good having them here. I bought antibiotics and antifungal stuff for like $30. It's weird just walking in and telling what you need without questions being asked. While we were waiting for the kids to see the dentist, Sharla broke into song about one of the students who talks all the time and thinks she knows everything. It was hilarious. Everything Sharla was singing, Ashley was arguing with. Since I think my life is a like a musical and I have a song for everything, I found this to be a funny few minutes. Look at the size of the mega pic
Holding Ambiolix after he had his teeth pulled Bobo's bonus root
Last night a bunch of us went to go sing karaoke. David brought the house down with his rendition of "Sweet Caroline" and occasional spanish words thrown in. I have it on video, but the lighting is bad. Dominicans take karaoke pretty seriously, not like how we just do it to make a fool of ourselves in the states. It was good to be able to get to know the staff a little better and made to feel welcome.

Today we all came to the beach, which is where I am sitting in LAX. I am out of the sun as I am sure I am well done. Kara and I had the world's worst guagua ride. Kara gets sent straight to the back to sit in the fetal position on a tire by a rather large angry old woman. I sit directly in front of said angry old woman with her knees in my back. I was sitting where there was two inches of actual seat on each side and 8 inches of gap in between the seats. I get on and off as passengers get on and off. Then, I get sent to the back. Angry old woman REFUSED to move, so I have to hand this frail old man my bag as I practically climb over the seat. This only proves to convince me that I am only good working with children. So now I am stuck between these two elderly people and can't sit down as I am afraid the woman will go off on me and I don't want to break the kind old man's hip. Remember wall sits? I used to have to do them during volleyball conditioning and in pilates. Well that was basically what I did for a good ten minutes. My coach would have been proud. Finally the woman got off and I had a second to put my keyster on the seat. Glorious! But then I somehow ended up on a bar in the seat and was pretty sure I was going to break my coccyx (tailbone). This is what the guagua typically looks like, but this picture doesn't do it justice.
We reached our destination and went to the german bakery which has the best coconut pastries. We sat for a while and then she headed to the sun and I headed to the shade to enjoy this view...


Just FYI...1)I met my first dominican spider of the trip the other day. I didn't kill it b/c we're not supposed to, however, I did not appreciate its presence and was thinking that it was going to attack me in the night. A girl from the group that was in just smashed it with her hand...I was thankful but now fear the spider family. They must be a tight knit crew b/c I have seen 3 since. Not to mention a tarantula hiding in Kara's shoe. Gross. 2) There is nothing soft to sit on in this country. I don't have a lot of padding to sit on anyway (it's distibuted other places!) and I find myself constantly shifting to try and get comfortable. 3) It's hot here. Enough said. I think fan's are the single best invention ever brought to this country.

Alright, enjoy the pics. I miss you all and wish you were with me experiencing this precious time of my life.

Most days I look like a 50's doo-wop singer because my hair flips out in the front. It has always had a mind of it's own, but it's running free down here!

5 comments:

"IGNITE THE FLAME" said...

Uggg, I knew there was a reason I went into nursing and not "dental" teeth are weird! Okay I thought that joining you sounded great, but I think I would have to walk, or ride on top of that "thing you call transportation." Thanks for sharing the experiences and just in case you were wondering... your parents are as great as ever. We "partyed" together at Amy and Greg's wedding!

Lynn said...

I can't say that I am jealous today. I hate dental work. It is so gross. However, I love to see the pictures. The kids are always so cute. I can see that you have stayed very busy while you are there. I also think the doo-wop look is great. The headband and skirt look cute. I bet you have recieved many marraige proposals while you are there. Everyone here is well and is always asking about you. We can't wait until you are back. Have a great time.

Lynn

Rebekah Nevitt said...

thanks for the updates! you paint a great picture of your adventure. the kids are so adorable! i'm praying for you. enjoy your time!
rebekah n.

Melissa said...

ugh teeth and spiders! Definantly not my thing. But the hugs afterwards? that, I could definantly do.
:)

Abby Fisher said...

ewww...I am so glad we don't have to deal with teeth. That root is a monster!! I miss you and think of you and your adventures often!

Abby :)