Friday, May 23, 2008

Dancing in the Dominican!

Last night a bunch of us girls, plus Weston, thought it would be fun to venture out to try to go dancing again. Our mission was a success! First, we had all been there all day b/c there was a huge staff meeting. Kara and I got a super cute room for $32 total...with a pool that we hung out in for a while. Next we met everyone again at LAX. We also met up with some Dominican friends. This provided lots of humor! Somehow this 45 yr old Italian guy started hanging out with them that day and was therefore with them when we met up with them. I had no problem understanding this guy. He would use a mixture of english, italian and spanish to communicate. I feel like italian is close enough to spanish that it's easy to understand for the most part. Apparently I was wrong. Robin and Cara, the two I look too when I can't understand the spanish down here, were completely lost with this guy and couldn't understand him at all and were depending on me to translate for him. Cara in particular thought that this was the funniest thing ever. We all got a kick out of how I can understand the random italian guy.

Next came the dancing...and it was fun! I did a little bit of marengue with the locals, but it was mostly our group just having fun. I love dancing. I feel like I sweat off 1,000 calories that night and our legs hurt from so much of it. I was actually surprised that the guys we were with were pretty respectful as far as dancing goes. They kept their distance and if they got to close and we pulled away...they got the hint. Needless to say Kara and I were tired and went to bed around 2am...I felt like I was back on my night schedule! We got up at 7:30, ate at our favorite German Bakery and caught a terrible guagua back for our meeting at 9.

I spent the rest of the day re-organizing, packing for home, taking a nap and then hopping on a moto to go downtown. Anne told me about this amazing little lady that cooks the best chicken sandwiches at a little stand on the corner. She was out of chicken, but I got a ham, cheese, green tomato with all sorts of delicious toppings sandwich. I decided to take a moto to the Malecon to find a cool place to sit to eat dinner. I just sat there and in typical Laura style, I ate in 5 minutes. But it was five minutes of thankfulness. For this country, for the people I've met, for the things I've seen, for what I get to witness God doing. It's a big deal. Here's where I ended up...



I took some pictures of the fort down there. It's a cool place. People sit outside it along the shade. Couples are scattered about on the edges to watch the water and just be together. It's sweet. I caught a moto back and here I am! Down to 6 days...unbelievable. Where did the month go? And if you think that the moto burn would deter me from using them...it hasn't. I still love them. I am healing nicely, even though it looks gross. I don't kow if you can see my lovely band-aide tan line. Nice.

This is the fort...

What the walk on the Malecon looks like...before you hit the shade

Two kids playing in the water


We may go karaoking tonight, but I may opt for a movie on the roof. It's been a chill day. I only have 3 days left with the kids. We have 10 people coming to live with us on Sunday. I think a night in would be good.

1 comment:

"IGNITE THE FLAME" said...

So glad to catch up on your adventures! I keep thinking beauty and "pain", I can't believe your time is almost up and yet, what is next on God's agenda for you? Praying for safe travels for you, and blessings for the rest of your days there!