Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I have no clever title...






Today was a nice day. It stormed yesterday, so last night and today were actually cooler than what I have been getting used to experiencing. There was no electricity at school, but I was kept busy by the plethora of lacerated and hurt feet. If you know me, you know I hate feet. I think that they are incredibley gross and dirty...being down here only deepens my thought, but since I am here to serve, I would wash feet and wounds all day if needed. Jesus washed dirty and gross feet too. Diori's foot actually looks better. I had been washing it everyday, gave antibiotics when he started developing a nasty infection and today I cut away all the extra skin. I was actually quite please with the results even though it still looks terrible.

Junior made a guitar out of a piece of wood, can, nails, and fishing line. He busted out in song to each of us ladies and we all had a good laugh. He sang in a mock Louis Armstrong voice and it was so funny to listen to him make up lyrics that actually rhymed and were in spanish...and I could understand him.

The electricity finally came on for about 40 minutes for the afternoon class. We fed them outside all the while building the anticipation for them to watch Aladin in Spanish. I have never seen kids eat so fast or sit so quietly. These children are never quiet, but they were so into it. Camille and I shared quite a few smiles when the kids would all get the same joke and laugh out loud. Little things that warm your heart. Next thing we knew, power is out and the kids are sad.

I made my way to try and catch public. A 7yr boy named Robi decided to walk with me, offers me a piece of mango, I politely say no and then he tells me to give him 5 pesos. What? How did that just happen? I didn't, but we kept up conversation until I went to check the girls apartment to see if Robin had left. I hear the rain getting harder and try to make it to the main road. By now it's pouring and I decide to hide under a tin roof and wait it out. I hear "Laura! Ven!" I look to the door next to me and there is Robi and his grandmother inviting me into their house. How sweet! It's at this moment I see Kara running down the street. So I call to her to wait with me and grandma offers a towel. Sometimes Dominicans can be so kind. The children know how to share. It's funny, you would think that with having so little you would hoard all that you have or is given to you, but this is not often the case. On numerous occasions the children at school will buy, find, pick or come with something they are eating. Withing seconds they are either calling their friends over or just giving pieces to those around them. I have a lot to learn from them in this aspect.

Only 1 1/2 days left. I'll try and make a funny post for tomorrow instead of a super sappy one...but no promises. And I will try to post pictures when the internet decides to cooperate.

No comments: