Monday, January 18, 2010

Heading to Haiti...well kinda

Ever since the moment I saw the news of the earthquake in Haiti, my heart has been there. Myself and the medical team from back home were immediately on board for trying to get a team together and go down and help. I actually got a call to start seriously thinking about it as I was forking over $700 for car things (GA plates, tags, tax, transmission, brakes and rotors). I laughed when Darren mentioned it and then realized he was serious. Off went an email to my boss asking for time off and on to my knees for a plan to come together. Doors seemed to keep shutting and we were given the opportunity to learn patience. We sit here with trauma skills and willing hearts, but no way in. So we prayed.

Sunday night I got an email telling me to get plane tickets for Tuesday. I do not know much about the situation we are walking into. I do know that we will be working in the border town of Jimani at a local hospital that was found in desperate need. I think things are looking better as Makarios continues to send supplies, but on Wednesday a small medical group will arrive and it is an honor to be a part of it. I think there may possibly be 2 MD's, 2 PA's, and 2 RN's...which would be awesome! I believe we will be sleeping in a church. We will probably smell, but I look forward to the closeness and conversations. I told my family...This is why I became a nurse. I will do absolutely everything I can to alleviate pain, stop infection, and clean the wounds that these people are suffering. But more than that...I have the opportunity to place a hand on someone, to hug them, to care for them and their children IN THE NAME OF JESUS and lift their lives to God. Their souls are far more important than any physical actions.

Two weeks ago, I had the priveledge to watch God work in major ways in the hearts of 22,000 college students at Passion 2010. I was a volunteer on the International Students Team and at one point was literally sitting among the nations. Brazil, Ireland, Australia, Korea, England, Ukraine, Mexico, and Estonia were just a few of the people I got to serve while they were here. But now is the time to GO, to meet needs in other people's countries, and to follow the calling that God has placed on my life.

I am so very humbled to have received all the comments, messages and phone calls offering words of encouragement, support and prayer. They are truly what will get us through the next few days. Please pray for protection, endurance, wisdom and Hearts of our Savior.

Some of you have expressed willingness to give financially. First of all, that alone humbles me. Whenever I go on medical missions trips, I have a few months notice and plan my budget accordingly. I am not used to needing others for financial matters and basically work to go on these trips. This obviously was not on my radar and was not ready for it. I am solely responsible for my plane ticket, but I did spend $500 on medical supplies that we will need and what has been requested. If you want to give to that, the easiest way to get it to me would actually be to send a check to my mom (Sherri Simpson) in Ohio. She has access to my account and can put it directly in. Anything above the $500 will be sent in a check from me to Makarios. If you would rather give straight to Makarios International for tax reasons, you can do that at Makariosinternational.org. Just make sure you put Haiti medical needs in the memo. To get the Ohio address, email me at holalola1685@earthlink.net. I will not be taking my computer, so I do not know if I will be able to check anything until I get back Sunday night.

Thank you for praying! I cannot say it enough! I am so excited to be leaving tomorrow and watching God work on a global scale! This song has been on my heart for days...may it bless you and encourage your obedience.

By our love...Christy Nockels

Brothers, let us come together
Walking in the Spirit, there's much to be done...
We will come reaching, out from our comforts
And they will know us by our love...

Sisters, we were made for kindness
We can pierce the darkness as He shines through us...
We will come reaching, with a song of healing...
And they will know us by our love!

The time is now
Come Church arise...
Love with His hands
See with His eyes...
Bind it around you,
Let it never leave you,
And they will know us by our love...

Children, You are hope for justice,
Stand firm in the Truth now, set your hearts above
You will be reaching, long after we’re gone,
And they will know you by your love

1 comment:

"IGNITE THE FLAME" said...

Beautifully said Laura... will patiently wait in prayer for the "rest of the story"