Sunday, January 4, 2009

2009...what do you have in store for me?

New Years is always such a bittersweet thing for me. I remember distinctly as a child when 1990 was waving goodbye and 1991 was waving hello thinking "I never get to go back! I never get to be in kindergarten again! That year is over!" Every year I think the same thing. Of course the grades changed, but the sentiment was the same. I think I get so sad because I truly do enjoy the year! I look back and am so thankful for what I've had the opportunity to do and am sad that I may never get to experience those moments again. On the other hand, sometimes I love not knowing the future and get so excited about what's to come. Some of it I think I know, but then, I really don't. It's amazing to watch dreams come true. This time last year I thought travel nursing would be fun to do, now I can't believe that I am doing it. God is so much bigger than I realize and watching Him work and orchestrate my life leaves me in awe.

I think this puts me in a good state of mind in my relationship with my loving Savior. I try to keep an eternal perspective even though it's so easy to get caught up in the here and now. I constantly have a sense of urgency that I can't shake. I feel like it's my responsibility to be Christ to everyone I come in contact with. Don't get me wrong, I know it's not me that saves them and I fail a lot. It's the Holy Spirit that convicts and draws those to God and I can always do a better job of taking the opportunities laid out before me. The future makes my heart beat fast! I don't know what's coming, all I know is that I am God's child and that he is returning! I cannot wait to see what will come about this year. Will I get to return to the DR? Where will my job take me? Who will I meet and befriend? What will my new nephew be like? This year is going to be good...

The last few weeks feel a bit like a blur. I saw the Otto's, went home for Christmas to be with the entire family, worked for three days, my parents came down for a long weekend and now I will work three more, celebrate my birthday with a friend from church and then Tara comes for a long weekend! I'm excited about going to the movies...haven't been since seeing Mamma Mia in July. P.S. While my parents were here we took in the aquarium, world of coke and Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy...which was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. It was a hour and forty five minutes of brute human strength, sickening flexibity and sheer beauty. Basically, I left feeling like a lazy and out of shape person.

Here's some pictures from Christmas and visits...
Dad and I trying 64 different coke products...I felt queezy by the time we were done

Mom and I on the Coke American Idol couch

The Ohio Family

Zach (Brother), Me and Eric (Cousin)

Emma Michelle and Laura Michelle

1 comment:

"IGNITE THE FLAME" said...

Oh Laura how cool, and how scary... I felt like I was reading my journal entry for New Years past. Praising God though that HE is in your center and that you "get it" that HE is all you need! Looking forward to the New Year and waiting to see what God has in store! Take care!