Sunday, September 12, 2010

Send us out!

Wow...what a journey this has been so far and the best is yet to come! Almost everything is packed and in its place. My eyes are so tired, but my brain just won't stop. So many hopes and dreams for these little lives we are going to be entrusted with for a few days are constantly on my mind.

Every now and then there are days that you are pretty sure will stick out in your mind for forever. Sunday, September 12, 2009 was one of those days. So many precious moments of family. While I will cherish them in my heart always, it made me ever more excited to get over to Kampala! Our church prayed over us in such a mighty way. I shed more tears this past week just out of excitement and gratitude than I've shed in a long time. I think that being sent out with blessing has to be one of the best feelings in the world. There are 13 of us going out with about 3,000+ people going behind us. We will represent you well, but our goal is to BE Christ well! We take you with us, and are greatly depending on your prayers. Names you can be praying for...Janet, Rachel G, Deeann, Aynsley, Whitney, Natalie, Kerri, Morgan, Rachel J, Tindell, Joy, and Brandy.

I'm so glad that God has chosen me to be a part of this church filled with people that are passionate about knowing God and living it out. Tonight we found out a little more of where God is taking us to...it's going to be good! We are going to be moving into a neighborhood. We will have a building, but that's not what it's about and I hope we keep that at the forefront of our minds.

This past week at work I had a friend ask me, "so why do you do it? what to get out of it? I know you go to help people, but what else?" He had already asked me again about my tattoo. We've already had these conversations before. I answered the only way I know how. It's not about the great feeling you get from helping people. I am called to love and to serve. I do it because I want to please God and I know that helping his creation makes him happy. This particular person doesn't believe in God and is sure that church would kick him out since he disagrees with everything in it -I want these babies, my friends and my co-workers to have their lives undeniably changed for the Kingdom of Christ. My goal has never been to just help people...that's just a humanitarian effort...my desire is that when I walk away people have a better picture of just how much God loves them regardless of their circumstances.

So we head out Tuesday. We will be gone Sept 14-25. You can keep up with us at www.ugandaonmyheart.wordpress.com and we are going to update as much as we can. We go out with confidence in the One who has brought us this far. Thank you for your prayers! I'll hug and kiss a baby for you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura!
My name is Christin Boyce and I am a guitarist/songwriter for the Christian acoustic rock band, Truth Bomb. I found your blog through a Google alert for the phrase "Least of These". I have co-written a song called "Least of These" with my brother Andrew (the frontman of Truth Bomb) and we have it available to download for free on our web site, www.truthbomb.net, until the end of the month. I read several of your blog posts and was touched by your heart for the least. When I saw your post about the tattoo you recently got on your wrist with the words "the least of these", I knew I had to tell you about our song! I thought you may be touched by it since it is about God's care for the weak and oppressed. Thank you so much for your service in God's Kingdom! I am praying for you and your team while you are in Uganda this month! Blessings to you!