Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Oh the adventure begins...

So I have made it to the DR without any problems. I took a new flight route with a new carrier and this brought on a meal and movie. I have purposely avoided Marley and Me like the plague since I heard it could make a grown man cry, but alas, that was the movie that was on. I had four hours and no place to go, so I watched it. I thought I was doing great until I felt a tear trickle down my cheek and drop onto my arm. What in the world! Dang animal movie. While I am trying to hide my tears and face, I notice the MAN next to me wiping his eyes and pulling his sunglasses down over his eyes. Now, I feel better.

Upon arrival, I get a huge hug from Anne and Kate. (Kate is the same Kate who was here the first two times I came, she's visiting). They immediately tell me that we will catch up later b/c they are on a mission and want to know if I am willing to participate. GAME ON! Apparently a guy hit the back of the truck at the airport when Anne was paying the 5 pesos to get in, she and he got out and he saw she was white, shrugged her off and got back in his car. She doesn't know insurance spanish, so they got his license plate number and wrote a note that went along the lines of "Dear Mr. Accident. We are nicer than you. You need to help if you hit someone. We hope you get eaten by a cow." The next step was going to be to have his car towed to a different spot in the lot just to mess with him. It's nice to know people. However, we spotted his car too late, he was in it, and we followed him as he picked up someone from the airport and then for a while on the main road. I think we made him nervous...which was our goal.

Got back to the house, settled in, and heard a really high pitch beeping. We notice people are gathering outside the house. We go out and there is a snake in the bushes! A beautiful black and teal snake, but a snake none-the-less. I run in to grab my camera, but when I come out it's slithering by and I jump up on the truck as I have no shoes on and one of the guys picks it up. And they walked away. We still don't know what was causing the beeping...

Cara has been teaching some boys guitar and last night was their concert. It's amazing how the second I stepped off the plane, I immediately fell right back into place. It feels so familiar, comfortable in a "man, I can't get comfortable" way. Kate and I walked into the apartment and Cara just waved from across the room. I waved back and ran in the kitchen to gove Robin a hug. Cara started cracking up! "I can't believe I didn't get up to hug you! It just seemed so natural to see you and Kate walk through the door! Like, Oh there's Kate and Laura". This made me laugh as I did the exact same thing when I walked in...Oh look, there's Cara!

Today I went to school to do some nurse-like things and catch up with Cara on vaccine progress. I would be lying if I didn't admit that my heart was FULL as kids ran up calling my name and giving me huge hugs that lasted minutes! Luis Fernando sang a song about five minutes long for me, Bernito gave me an earing, Regina was the first to jump in my arms, Ruth and Wildana were fighting over my lap as Ashley played with my hair...I was in heaven. Diori got bit by a dog on saturday and his hand looks awful...cleaned it up and will check again for infection tomorrow. Luis Miguel hurt his foot and won't walk on it...and there are others with moto burns...something I know plenty about. After school Kendall, Mary and I went to Chichigua and hung out with some kids. It staretd raining and we ended up sitting in a room with a bunch of haitians playing pool. Who would have thought I would ever do that in my life. Took a moto ride back to the girls apartment and then picked up the dentist at the airport. We ate dinner at an Italian place and I got to do one of my favorite things. A little boy was asking for money, of which I don't give away because I don't know where it's going, but then he patted his tummy and there went my food. I had it all boxed up and ready to go...just for him. One of my most dear moments of the day...handing over a meal to a kid that doesn't know where his next one if coming from.

Tomorrow starts all the dental stuff. Should go pretty smooth...but as you learn in this country, just go with the flow, whatever you plan will change.

1 comment:

Randy & Lori said...

Hey Laura,
I thought i would check out your blog and before I knew it tears were welling up. You have such a wonderful relationship with God. I know you see lots of heartache and dismal situations but your beautiful smile, caring heart and thoughtful prayer means more to people then you would ever know. I am sure of one thing you will have a fulfilling journey and life so full of love because you are you.
I am so proud of your life mission and i am glad to know such a wonderful you.